Monday 30 May 2011

VIP treatment

Farewell parties were held over the last 2 weeks. On 19th May, I put my card behind the bar at Henry Addingtons for 15 of my colleagues. An old man's pub - spit and sawdust as they say. It was an intimate affair, everyone there know each other well. There were more than enough budvars and Chilean Sendara Sauvignon Blanc to go round. I had fun playing the social butterfly and talking to everyone at the party. We all drank loads and went home at about 11pm. Best of all, the boss went and exchanged my credit card for his. 


I was told by Phil to keep 23rd May free in the evening. The event itself was kept secret from me till Paddy accidentally blabbed on the Friday before that we were going to have dinner. I still didn't know who were going or where till Monday itself. Phil invited the longest serving members of the team to dinner - Eugenio, Rich, Nick and Paddy. We had a very nice dinner at Plateau, everyone paying their own way. The conversation were mostly nostalgic, harking back to the stories of way back when, the newest member of this bunch joined in 2005, so we have known each other for 6 years, most of us still in the same team except for Nick. The guys were extremely sweet and I felt like a VIP. Plateau is one of my favourite restaurants, Phil remembered that. We had whiskey after dinner, there were no speeches, I did not want a speech. I will miss the guys. It wasn't always easy being the only female in a team of men for almost 4 years before Masiel joined. These guys treated me like one of them and when I was promoted, treated me like the boss.  


On 27th May, Paddy bought me lunch - just me and him at Jamie's Kitchen. I tried Pasta Puttanesca so I know what Jamie Oliver thought was the right level of pungent. The in the evening, it was farewell dinner with the gals at the Artisan at Westbury hotel. I organised it and found this place as a deal on Toptable. It was very posh, with art deco furnishings - like Plateau, hmmm, there is a theme... - and amuse bouche after every course. The food was amazing but the company was better. Evangeline, Karen, Alison and Sara. Everyone but Sara has now booked time to come visit in Singapore. Alison in Nov, Karen over Christmas and Evangeline over Chinese New Year. It makes me feel good that I will be seeing them soon again after landing in Singapore. I hope I will have no time to miss London. 


Evangeline was very sweet in insisting she help me paint the town red over the long weekend. So on 29th May, the two of us dressed up for dinner at L'Atelier de Joel Robuchon. He of two michelin stars. Dinner cost an arm and a leg, especially since Evangeline made sure we sauced it up with pre and post dinner lychee cocktails and cosmopolitans. We also had both white and red wine to match our courses of tapas - O'Rosal Rais Baxias with Grilled razor clams with shallot butter, Le Oeuf and Langostine Ravioli; and Cote De Ventoux with duck confit, stuffed guinea fowl and pig trotter on parmesean toast. Riesling with Yuzu Souffle and Gurwuztramminer with Mandarin Sorbet. I must have spouted a lot of rubbish as I can't remember what we were talking about from the fourth course onwards. It was a great night and the sophisticated restaurant setting gave the farewell meal every feeling of being in the capital city of the world.


And here I am, all stuffed and alcohol preserved with much kind regards. I didn't shed a single tear which is excellent. Think I am feeling a bit numb to it now. I have said goodbye to my closest and dearest people, places and things. 



No comments: