Monday 25 April 2011

Easter Break

I pressed the pause button and took time out from thinking about changing jobs and moving countries. 


Started Good Friday morning with a huge spring clean. I gave away 4 bags of books, bags, vases, lamps and threw out 2 bags of very old clothes. I found time in between to use my new egg pan, making a perfect fried egg, grilled mini portobello mushroom, grilled tomato, seasoned with basil for lunch. 


In the evening, I went out with Karen to Barrafina for tapas. We had a nice time sitting at a table outside in the 25 deg sunshine, catching up over a bottle of Basa Rueda Blanco. Karen talked about her forays into gardening and her work. We tried to guess the relationships of the guys sitting next to us (3 men and 2 very pretty little girls) since we were in Soho. One of the guys is clearer the Dad. After dinner, we watched Flare Path - a play with Sienna Miller in it at the Royal Haymarket. From the back of the nose bleed section! It was so empty there that despite being dressed up, we found enough privacy to stretch out, take off our shoes and put our feet up. Had to squint but I could tell Sienna was struggling a bit, I think. The other female actress was good though.


On Saturday, I went to Maidstone Kent for a walkabout. Then went to TK Maxx to look up possible deals for kitchen ware. Gave up in the end and went grocery shopping at Lewisham market instead. I bough some veg (the pound per bowl types) to split with Karen and then went to Karen's place to cook a stir-fry dinner. We watched Kick-Ass on DVD, it was hilarious. 


On Sunday, I took things to the Cancer Research shop in the village. The farmer's market was open today, although it is Easter, albeit it was a smaller market then usual. I bought half priced organic fresh salad, 4 organic chicken thighs and a loaf of bread. Thinking I will cook dinner for Eugene. Turned out he was too busy to come to Blackheath, so I met him in Soho after my 3.30pm church service instead. Hillsong rolled out the big guns for the easter service. I was very impressed, I think the West End should send some people to Hillsong to get some fresh ideas on how to put on a show. 


And Monday was the best day. I was tired from all the activity and decided to do nothing today. I just spent the day at a slow pace. Put some things - my heaters (i have 4!!, how does one person have 4 portable heaters?) and my elliptical trainer - on ebay. (Ebaying as a seller for the first time!). It took a while to work out how Ebay and paypal works though. I distracted myself from the drone of signing up on Ebay by making a classic tortilla and Nigella's Chicken with 40 Cloves of Garlic. The tortilla was dry, I overcooked it as I was worried about flipping it over too early and having it collapse on me. The chicken was good though, i improvised and added lemon which I think on hindsight that the dish did not need. The juice was fantastic with the artisan bread. I had a very nice day by myself watching Come Dine with Me, while working out how to Ebay, reading my cookbooks and cooking. The sun set late today, it was bright till past 8pm. I grabbed the opportunity to squeeze in a 40min run around the heath at 7pm. Came back just in time to eat dinner and then watch the MasterChef 2011 final. John Torode and Greg Wallace brought the 3 finalists to Australia, where they have to cook with Aussie ingredients - Barramundi fish, Aussie crayfish, crocodile and kangaroo meat. Note to self - do not try to make ice-cream on the day of the dinner party, always make it before. The breakdown of an ice-cream machine 1 hr before the party is not possible to salvage.


This will be one of the last quiet weekends before the big move and I really appreciated the pause. 






No comments: